This course follows AVIA1850 and provides an in-depth coverage of the key elements outlined in Airport Management 1. Issues include the regulatory environment, including licensing and obligations, an evaluation of various ownership models, the economics of running the airport as a business, including costs, revenues, subsidies and performance indicators, client relations and services, and general airport administration. Airside operations include practical operational requirements as well as necessary documentation.
Other planning issues include managing terminal and landside operations, emergency and crisis management, infrastructure development, socio-economic impacts on the community, and environmental impacts.
To be advised.
- Ashford, N., Stanton, H.P.M., Moore, C.A (1997) Airport Operations, 2nd edn. New York : McGraw Hill, c1997.
- Ashford, N. & Wright, P.H (1992) Airport Engineering, 3rd edn. New York : Wiley, c1992.
- Bartsch, R.I (2004) Aviation Law in Australia, 2nd edn. Pyrmont, N.S.W. : Lawbook Co., 2004
- Campbell, R (2004) Crisis Control, Revised edn. Camberwell, Vic. : Viking, 2004.
- Caves, R.E., & Gosling, G.D (1999) Strategic Airport Planning. Amsterdam ; Oxford : Pergamon, 1999.
- Dempsey, P.S(2000) Airport Planning & Development Handbook. New York ; London : McGraw-Hill, c2000.
- De Neufville, R. & Odoni, A (2003) Airport Systems - Planning, Design and Management. New York : McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- Doganis, R (1992) The Airport Business, Routledge.London ; New York : Routledge, 1992.
- Gesell, L.E (1992) The Administration of Public Airports, 3rd edn. Chandler, Ariz. : Coast Aire Publications, c1992.
- Graham, A (2003) Managing Airports : An International Perspective, Oxford : Butterworth-Heinemann, 2001.
- Kazda, A. & Caves, R.E (2000) Airport Design and Operation. Oxford : Pergamon, 2000.
- Sullivan, R.E (1993) Town Planning for Airports. Sydney : Federal Airports Corporation, 1993.
- Wells, A.T (1996) Airport Planning & Management, 3rd edn. New York : McGraw-Hill, c1996.
- Wells, A.T (2000) Airport Planning & Management, 4th edn. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2000.
- Wiley, J (1986) Airport Administration. Westport, Conn. (Box 2055, Westport 06880) : Eno Foundation for Transportation, 1986.
- Airport World (ACI)
- ICAO Journal
- Australian Aviation
- Passenger Terminal
- Jane’s Airport Review
- Air Transport World
Legislation and Regulatory Documentation etc.
- Airports Act 1996
- Air Navigation Act 1920, s.22ZJ and s.22ZK
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority 2003, Manual of Standards Part 139- Aerodromes, Canberra.
- International Civil Aviation Organisation, 1987, Airport Planning Manual: Part 1 - Master Planning, Doc 9184-AN/902, 2nd edn, Montreal.
- 1990, Aerodromes: Volume 1 - Aerodrome Design and Operations, Annex 14 to the Convention of Civil Aviation, 1st edn, Montreal.
- 1999, Aerodromes: Volume 1 - Aerodrome Design and Operations, Annex 14 to the Convention of Civil Aviation, 2nd edn, Montreal.
- 1987, Airport Planning Manual – Part 1 Master Planning, Montreal.
- 1991, Airport Economics Manual, Montreal.
- 1993, Land Use Planning: Key to Future Airport Expansion, ICAO Journal, Montreal.
- 1993, Environmental Protection, Annex 16 to the Convention of Civil Aviation, Montreal.
- 1997, Security - Safeguarding International Civil Aviation Against Acts of Unlawful Interference, Annex 17 to the Convention of Civil Aviation, Montreal.
- AACC/IATA, 1990, Guidelines for Airport Capacity/ Demand Management, 2nd edn, Frankfurt.
- Airports Council International. 1996 Apron Safety Handbook, Geneva.
The University of New South Wales provides a range of resources to help students develop their skills and to realise their full potential. The Learning Centre, located at the entrance to the Library provides guidance material, which is also available on-line.
In particular, students may wish to access the following:
The Basics of Essay Writing
Answering Assignment Questions
Report Writing FAQs
The Basics of Studying for Exams
The American Psychological Association (APA) Referencing System