Dr. Yulian Cao is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the School of Aviation at the UNSW Sydney. She received her Ph.D. degree in Logistics Technology & Equipment from Wuhan University of Technology, China in 2018. From 2012 to 2014, she worked as a visiting scholar at the Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering and the Integrated Brain Imaging Center (IBIC), Dept. of Radiology, Medicine School at the University of Washington (UW), Seattle, WA, USA.
Her research involves evolutionary computation, industrial engineering, logistics & supply chain management, and medical data analytics. She has worked on business process simulation & optimization for container terminal since her undergraduate study in logistics engineering. Applying the Internet of Things (IoT) techniques to industry/manufacturing has been investigated since her postgraduate research. She has devoted to developing Evolutionary Algorithms (EAs) and exploring their applications to logistics engineering problems for many years. Currently, she is motivated to explore and model real-life engineering problems in aviation, smart grids, transportation, supply chain and utilize swarm intelligent algorithms to solve those problems. Several advanced methodologies, e.g. machine learning, data mining, social network analysis, are utilized in her research. Researches are also carried out on the theory of these technologies to promote their development.
Dr. Cao has contributed to a variety of research projects funded by both government and industry companies, including National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), National 12th Five-Year Science & Technology Support Plan of China, and National Institutes of Health (NIH) of USA, etc.
Dr. Cao is keen to collaborate with researchers from different backgrounds, such as computer science, mechanical engineering, applied mathematics, operation research, etc. Please feel free to contact Dr. Yulian Cao if you are interested in collaboration or visiting.
Area of Interests
- Evolutionary Computation and Swarm Intelligent Algorithm
- Logistics & Supply Chain Modeling, Simulation and Optimization
- Airport Baggage Handling System Management and Optimization
- Airport/Industrial Scheduling and Resource Allocation
- Technology and Application of the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Machine Learning and Data Analytics
Yulian has served as a reviewer for journals, including Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, Applied Soft Computing, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems, IEEE ACCESS, etc. She took part in some important international academic conferences and delivered her research as oral report.
- Y. Cao, H. Zhang, W. Li, M. Zhou, Y. Zhang, W. A. Chaovalitwongse. Comprehensive Learning Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm with Adaptive Local Search for Multimodal Functions[J]. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 718-731, Aug. 2019.
- L. He, W. Li, Y. Zhang, Y. Cao. A discrete multi-objective fireworks algorithm for flowshop scheduling with sequence-dependent setup times [J]. Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, 2019. (accepted)
- Yulian Cao, Gabriel Lodewijks, Wenfeng Li. Bi-swarm Particle Swarm Optimizer with Novel Neighborhood Topology Strategy and its Application of Intermodal Transportation [C], 2019 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, IEEE SMC 2019. (accepted)
- Y. Cao, W. Li, H. Zhang. Hybrid particle swarm optimization algorithm with simple and efficient coupling strategy [J]. Control theory & Applications, 2018, 35(1):13-23. (in Chinese)
- Cao Y., Li W., Chaovalitwongse W. A. Hybrid Comprehensive Learning Particle Swarm Optimizer with Adaptive Starting Local Search[C]. International Conference in Swarm Intelligence, Advances in Swarm Intelligence. Springer, v10385 LNCS, 2017:148-157.
- Madhyastha T, Cao Y, Sujitnapisatham S, et al. Link Clustering to Explore Brain Dynamics Using Resting State Functional MRI [J]. Journal of Radiology & Radiation therapy, 2014, 1(2):1012-1017.
- W. A. Chaovalitwongse, G. Presnyakov, Y. Cao, et. al. Diagnostic Network Modeling of Neural Connectivity Using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Healthcare Intelligence: Turning Data into Knowledge [J]. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 2014, 29(3):62-65.
- W. Li, X. Liang, Y. Zhong, Y. Cao, X. Dong, M. Zhou. Logistics Social Networks [C]. 11th IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control (ICNSC), 2014:507-512.
- Li, W., Zhong, Y., Wang, X., Cao, Y. Resource virtualization and service selection in cloud logistics [J]. Journal of Network & Computer Applications, 2013, 36(6): 1696-1704.
- Cao, Y., Li, W., Song, W., Chaovalitwongse, W. Collaborative material and production tracking in toy manufacturing [C]. IEEE International Conference on CSCWD, 2013:645-650.
- Cao Y L, Li W F, Song W. Research on Materials Tracking in Toy Production Based on the Internet of Things [J]. Advanced Materials Research, 2011, v314-316:2439-2442.
- Cao Y, Li W, Zhang J. Real-time traffic information collecting and monitoring system based on the internet of things [C]. IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Applications (ICPCA), 2011:45-49.
- Cao Y, Li W. Research on Business Process Simulation and Process Reengineering in Automobile Ro-Ro Terminals [J]. Journal of Wuhan University of Technology (Transportation Science & Engineering), 35 (4):821-824, 2011. (in Chinese)
- Monograph: Logistics System Optimization and Simulation, published by the China Standards Press in June 2010. (Chapter 7: Business process optimization) (in Chinese)
- Textbook: Logistics System Modeling and Simulation, published by the Science Press in December 2010. (Chapter 10: Supply chain system modeling and simulation) (in Chinese)