Researchers at UNSW Sydney (The University of New South Wales) are seeking volunteer research participants to learn about the effects of alertness on long distance driving.
Would the research study be a good fit for me?
The study might be a good fit for you if you:
- Are aged from 18 to 65
- Have a driver’s licence (not a learner’s permit, but a non-Australian licence is accepted)
- Usually sleep at night and are awake during the day (e.g., not a night-shift worker)
- Do not have a diagnosed sleep condition (e.g., Obstructive Sleep Apnoea)
- Do not have a pacemaker or other implanted medical device
What would happen if I took part in the research study?
If you decide to take part you would:
- Come to our laboratory at UNSW Kensington campus once for 2.5 hours
- Fill in background, sleep, driving and mood related questionnaires
- Wear a heart rate monitor
- Perform a 1.5-hour drive in a desk-based driving simulator
- Complete a questionnaire related to your experience
- Get a full night of sleep before your session and avoid caffeine on the day of participation
Will I be paid to take part in the research study?
You will receive a total of $50 worth of Coles/Myer vouchers as a reimbursement for completing participation in the research study.
Information about the heartrate monitoring device:
- Your heartrate will be monitored by a device called an electrocardiogram (ECG). This is a completely safe, painless, and non-invasive method for monitoring heartrate.
- This device requires wearing a chest-strap around the middle of your rib-cage
- A series of small electrodes are mounted in the chest strap. These electrodes must make contact with your bare skin in order to detect your heartrate.
- You will be instructed on how to apply the strap, then you will be given privacy to put the strap on yourself.
Who do I contact if I want more information or want to take part in the study?
If you would like more information please contact Rainer at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to sign up, please click here to take the screening questionnaire and to book a time for participation.
If you would like to download a copy of the Participant Information and Consent Form, please click here.